Snort mailing list archives

RE: reading tcpdump file

From: "Jeff Dell" <jdell () activeworx com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:36:24 -0400

We had this same problem on our honeynet and had to start a new snort
process that was dedicated to tcpdump. What you are seeing can be caused by
a few different reasons... here are a couple:

1. It is not logging the fragmented packets, but the reassembled packet. If
you only want to log tcp traffic, you might want to turn off the
preprocessors. However this should be fixed in the newer versions of Snort.

2. You might not be capturing both sides of the transmission. I would try
this:
        alert tcp any any <> any any

Cheers,

Jeff