Snort mailing list archives

Re: Oinkmaster and multiple URLs

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:16:09 -0600

A few poeple have asked about this so I commited a patch that makes it
possible to download any number of rules archives from different URLs at
the same time, e.g.:

oinkmaster.pl -o rules \
-u http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz \
-u http://www.bleedingsnort.com/bleeding.rules.tar.gz

You can also specify multiple url=<url> in oinkmaster.conf, but command
line overrides them just like before.

I still think it's often much better to run Oinkmaster once for each URL
and with different output directories though. For example, as all
downloaded files will be put in the same output directory even when
getting multiple rules archives, there is going to be problems if the
same filename exists in multiple archives (Oinkmaster will detect
this and exit before touching anything).

If you're interested in this feature, please get the latest cvs snapshot
from http://oinkmaster.sourceforge.net/oinkmaster-snapshot.tar.gz (at
your own risk) and let me know how it works.

Since I'm not a perl programmer (or any type of programmer for that
matter), would it be possible for you to include something like
a commented out example of how to chain some of these scripts together?

As an example, I'd like to see something towards the end of the rules
update script that would call the create-sidmap.pl script to regenerate
the sid-msg.map file automatically.

I'm actually running snort and oinkmaster on a Win32 box and don't want
to learn how to write scipts, etc, for it.