Snort mailing list archives

Re: port scans

From: Michael Boman <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:23:48 +0800

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:38:33 -0800 (PST), Sidharth Deshpande
<sade_in () yahoo com> wrote:
Hello team,

I am running snort on a test network. I was interested to know if snort can
detect port scans that are extremely slow. Port scans that span over a few
days for example.

Is there a way for snort to identify this kind of scan?

I hope you could help me out with this information.

Thanks

Sidharth Deshpande

For extremly slow portscans an IDS like SHADOW is more suited.
However, you can do something like Frank Knobbe described at
http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/snort-0404/325/1.html, ie:
alerting on non-existing hosts/ports.

Best regards
 Michael Boman