Snort mailing list archives

Oinkmaster v1.1 questions

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:50:46 -0600

I'm implementing oinkmaster for the first time on a Win32 box with
snort v2.2.0, and it is updating both snort.org and bleedingsnort.com
rules. But, as a newbie to oinkmaster, I've got a couple of questions...

1. There seems to be two ways to specify a url for fetching rule
updates. One from the command line with the -u switch, and a second
by specifing the url in the oinkmaster.conf file. Is that a correct
assumption?

2. Can the oinkmaster.conf file contain both url's (eg, will both the
snort.org and bleedingsnort.com rules be updated)?

3. Until I get some experience with oinkmaster, I've simply set up a
shortcut on the desktop to execute the perl scripts for updating. When
I'm more comfortable with the results, I'll schedule it via the equiv
of a cron job. It would appear the snort.org rules for v2.2 are not
actually updated on their web site on a regular basis even though
their file is rebuilt daily. Is that a correct assumption?

4. What's the proper way to handle bleeding-sid-msg.map file using
oinkmaster? (For now, I manually copy/pasted the contents into the
etc/sid-msg.map file. I'm assuming there is a better way to handle
that via oinkmaster.)

TIA,

Rich