Snort mailing list archives

Re: Theoretical question about snort

From: mosquitooth () gmx net
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:44:18 +0100 (MET)

Ahhh, I see. Just one last thing. If you bild such a linked-list-tree,
you'll need some criteria to create the nodes, which does snort use? I could
imagine the protocol as first criteria (easy to check and 'eliminates' some
bigger amount of rules, then IP information (dest and source), ports (in
case of udp/tcp) and so on.
But there are still 2 problems to me:

1. How do you handle "any" statements? How does snort decide which way to go
to the next node?
2. What about optional criteria? E.g. not every rule contains the "win" (for
tcp window size) statement, so how to check on that?

Thanks a lot
Peter

--
Psssst! Mit GMX Handyrechnung senken: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail
100 FreeSMS/Monat (GMX TopMail), 50 (GMX ProMail), 10 (GMX FreeMail)