Snort mailing list archives

Re: ERROR: OpenPcap() device

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:26:19 -0500

At 06:50 PM 12/2/2004, Marvin Cummings wrote:
First time post so please bear with me if I'm in the wrong place. I'm
using the Installing a complete IDS using the IIS 5/6 Webserver
located at winsnort.com and get this error when attempting to test the
configuration. I have snort ver2_1_1 and WinPcap ver3.0 installed onto
this w2k3 server. This is what I've done so far:
>From the command prompt:

D:\Applications\Snort\bin>snort -v -ix
Running in packet dump mode
Log directory = log

Initializing Network Interface x»
ERROR: OpenPcap() device x» open:
Error opening adapter: The system cannot find the file specified.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

-i expects a network interface name, or number that snort should use to listen on. In this case, x isn't a valid network adapter in your system. (not surprising)

(Advice from here down is win32 specific, unix users ignore:)

On windows, usually 1 or 2 is the adapter you want. So you'd use -i 2 not -ix

From a command line, you can run snort -W to list all the valid interfaces on the system, and what number they are. You should get output similar to what windump -D does:

1.\Device\NPF_GenericNdisWanAdapter (Generic NdisWan adapter)
2.\Device\NPF_{7BAC7A38-7285-42D7-AEC7-2ECE8C0999E2} (Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) )