Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort on span port

From: "Douglas McCrea" <dmccrea () rutgers edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:15:01 -0400

Data will only go to the switch if there is a device on that switch in
the proper VLAN. For instance, if you have four VLANS (1-4) and you have
the following setup:

Switch Name             VLANS currently being used by devices (VLANS are
trunked using 802.1Q)
Switch1         1
Switch2         1,2
Switch3         2,3,4
Switch4         4

You should monitor Trunk with your Span port on Switch 3, which will at
least show all the traffic for VLANS 2,3,4 assuming your devices are on
24 hours a day. You could improve this by setting up a hardened,
multihomed system that just listens on four different ports, each
NIC/port combo designated to one of the VLANs. This would pull traffic
more readily.

I've also been doing some thinking about this also... Would it be
possible to plug into the aggregate switch using a fiber NIC? Anyway,
the best way to do this would be a tap- I don't have the luxury, so I
monitor trunk on my busiest switches. Eventually I'm going to set up the
multi-homed system with 5 VMware honeypots that listen on all ports, I
just haven't had the time.

-Doug

Assistant Director, IT
Rutgers University