Snort mailing list archives

Re: runtime rule adding

From: Dennis George <easyeinfo () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:44:59 -0700 (PDT)

Thankyou all for your quick answer..........

This means that adding new rules will result in packet loss... :-(

Anyway thanks again
Dennis

Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com> wrote:
At 05:06 AM 8/16/2004, Dennis George wrote:
can anybody tell me that whether I can add a rule while snort is
running..... so that the rule can be active without restarting the snort.....

No. You can't add rules to a running snort without interrupting it.

The closest you can do is send snort a SIGHUP after adding rules. This
doesn't cause the process to exit, but does force it to re-initialize.
However, even this does interrupt snort momentarily. It's faster than
completely exiting restarting it, but the effect on snort's internal state
is largely the same..