Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert explanations

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:39:39 -0400

Those are anomaly notifications coming from Snort's preprocessors, they're pretty self explanatory. "Possible retransmission" means that the stream reassembler thinks it has seen the packet before and is letting you know (this can be someone trying to evade the stream reassembler/IDS). "Overlapping fragment" messages are from the IP defragmenter, it's telling you that it's seeing fragments that overlap which is another anomaly and a possible indication that someone is trying to evade your IDS.

We should probably go through and document all the events that can be generated by the preprocessors one of these days...

     -Marty