Snort mailing list archives

Re: where is a faq/info on alerts

From: Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt <glratt () rice edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:25:22 -0500 (CDT)

Hm. I was surprised - I could not find the answer anywhere in the
{snort}/doc subdirectory of my snort-2.1.1 installation, nor in the
manual or the FAQ at www.snort.org/docs . Maybe it's me.

As I recall, the format [xx:yy:zz] expands to

        xx = source module; 1 = standard snort rule, other numbers for
                various preprocessors (http_inspect,e.g.)

        yy = sid configured into the snort rule generating the alert, or
                subsidiary alert type if from a preprocessor;

        zz = rev configured into the snort rule.

So the alert

Aug  6 09:17:38 foo.rice.edu snort: [ID 702911 local0.alert] [1:469:1] ICMP PING NMAP [Classification: Attempted
Information Leak] [Priority: 2]: {ICMP} 213.188.215.26 -> 128.42.163.104

was generated by the standard snort rule with sid 469 and rev 1. More data
can be found by looking up the rule:

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP PING NMAP"; dsize: 0; itype: 8; reference:arachnids,162;
classtype:attempted-recon; sid:469; rev:1;)

; more data can be found in later versions of snort in the distributed
files {snort}/doc/signatures/469.txt, and the reference to "arachnids"
is a shorthand which is explained in section 2.4.2 of the Snort users
manual.

        -g