Snort mailing list archives

Re: Activates/Dynamic

From: "Keith W. McCammon" <mccammon () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 14:18:17 -0400

Are Activate/Dynamic rules still supported in the more recent releases of Snort?

I think they're still there, but I believe they're on their way out.

For the curious ones, here is what i am trying to achieve:

Occasionally, during some really wierd hours, the CPU utilization on
one of my routers spikes to 70% or higher.  I know it's because of a
sudden spike in network traffic, but i don't know what the traffic is.
 I send snmp queries to the router which responds with the cpu
utilization.  I am using byte_test to check the value of the cpu
utilization and I'd like to activate the dynamic portion if the
utilization is above 40%. The dynamic rule would capture a million or
so packets.

[snip]

I don't think i can do this with tagging because i am trying to
capture ALL traffic, not just between the two hosts that generated the
original event.

Any ideas?

Yep.  Start with NTop.  Let that puppy run and gather some
higher-level data.  Then, if you still want packet-level data, you can
start crafting rules to dump traffic between known offending hosts.

It seems like you're trying to wedge Snort into the solution, when
what you really need to know is who's talking, using what protocols
and services, and when.  NTop is very well-suited to do this--better
so than your IDS.