Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Archive Database Creation Script

From: Alejandro Flores <alejandro.flores () triforsec com br>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:56:35 -0300

        Hello Charles,

        A mysql database is a directory where each table is a file. In a ugly
way, you can stop your mysql, go to your databases directory
(/var/lib/mysql in redhat/fedora), rename your database (mv snort
snort-archive), start mysql and recreate the original database. Remember
to grant privileges to your 'new' database.
                (I do not recommend you do this!)

        There's a tool called 'mysqlhotcopy' that I guess will fit your needs.
It comes with MySQL, so you can check the documentation with: perldoc
mysqlhotcopy or pointing your browser to:
        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysqlhotcopy.html

Regards,
Alejandro Flores

Hi all.  Don't know if this question has been asked before.  I wasn't
able to find too much on google or the list archive.

I would like to be able to archive events picked up by my snort IDSs.
Now, I know that ACID has this functionality.  But I also know that
you have to have the database backend.  Does anyone know if 1) the DB
setup script that comes with the snort package will work for the
"snort-archive" db? or 2) if there's a snort-archive db setup script
that I missed in the package? or 3) is there a 3-rd party script some
where out there in userland?  I'm not the most savvy mysql DBA, so it
would be non-trivial for me to try to set up the db myself.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.