Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not logging alerts.

From: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu () alumni sfu ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:49:07 -0700

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:38:25 -0400 sekure () gmail com wrote:
You can't do it.  Not with TCP and not the way you are trying to.

The problem is that TCP is a stateful protocol, it needs to establish
a session before it can send data.  What that means is that something
has to be listening on port 80 in this case (http), for your browser
to establish the connection, BEFORE it can send the CodeRed exploit.
Since nothing is, nothing happens...  If you are just doing this for
testing, you can download netcat and tell it to listen to port 80.
That way you'll be able to establish a connection and send the
exploit.

OK. Thank you.

That makes sense.

I have figured out what I wanted to do.

Leave ip address of sniffer at 0.0.0.0 and only listen for exploits that
actually connect to an ip address on the network that exists.

Thanks to all who helped.

--
Lyndon Tiu