Snort mailing list archives

Re: Surpress ICMP messages between two internal IP's (pass rule)

From: Chris Keladis <chris () cmc optus net au>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:41:47 +1000

Hi Bill,

You can use a "suppress" rule on the SIDs that are firing to safely ignore these ICMP messages to/from your DCs without disabling the rule alltogether.

http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node19.html

Regards,

Chris.

dogbert () netnevada net wrote:

Hi All,

I doing some more research, it turns out that the offenders are windows domain controllers causing snort to see:

ICMP Large ICMP Packet <--- used by windows domain controllers to determine the speed of a given link (in this case, the VPN we use).

ICMP L3retriever Ping
ICMP PING NMAP

alerts (logging), what I need to know how to do is to define a pass rule
for this type of traffic going to 10.1.1.21 and 10.1.1.23 (which are
the IP address it is tripping on) from 172.21.x.x, is there a good example on this is done)? (172.21.x.x usually consists of workstation traffic from one office, and 10.1.1.x are servers, as a general rule).

Does the Snort 2.1 book show good examples of these things, I've been meaning to buy it, but don't know if it would apply with the new 2.2 series being worked on?

Bill