Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using Snort on a Switch via span problem

From: Eric Noel <ericnoel () mylife ph>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:34:20 +0800

On 7/20/2004 12:56 PM, Eric Noel wrote:
i have a problem with my snort, ive configured the cisco switch for span/port forwarding but my problem is that snort is working only if the attack is to itself. so if i tried attacking the web server, it doesnt log in the snort. Can anyone assist me by giving pointers, reference materials or even directly help me?? Thanks guys.

I have the ff snort/acid setup for reference:

NET LAYOUT:
cisco 2900xl (172.30.16.0 LAN)
+-------+-------+-------+
| fa0/1 | fa0/2 | fa0/3 |
+-------+-------+-------+

fa0/2 = snort (172.30.19.49/255.255.240.0)
fa0/3 = web server (172.30.19.101/255.255.240.0)

CISCO CONFIG:
interface FastEthernet0/1
 switchport mode multi
interface FastEthernet0/2
 port monitor FastEthernet0/3

CISCO SHOW PORT MONITOR:
Monitor Port           Port Being Monitored
FastEthernet0/2        FastEthernet0/3

SNORT CONF:
var HOME_NET [172.30.16.0/20]
var EXTERNAL_NET any
var HTTP_SERVERS [172.30.19.101/20,172.30.19.102/20]
var RULE_PATH /etc/snort/rules

I tried Matt's revision to my snort's conf but it still just logs only intrusion directed to the snort server and not to others servers (e.g. webserver). Anyway, I just installed a sensor on the firewall portion and log to the snort server just to make ends meet :(. I hope somebody have a clue on why i still cant detect any intrusion other than my snort server.