Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard's explained

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:35:45 +1200

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:33:22PM -0700, Tom Fulton wrote:

Can someone explain what the benefit is of using Barnyard?

I understand that the unified output plug in allows Snort to write alerts
and logs into a single binary file which frees up processing from the
detection engine (as apposed to writing to a flat file, etc) so that Snort
runs faster overall.  However, Snort does that by itself.   I'm not clear on
what value Barnyard adds to this.

What do you mean by "Snort does that by itself" then?

Barnyard needs to be compared with getting Snort to output directly into a
SQL backend. The latter means Snort is constrained (blocked) when the alerts
are generating more data than the backend SQL database can handle. With
barnyard, snort "just dumps" the data straight to disk (much faster than
pushing into a SQL DB), and barnyard post-processes it into SQL out-of-band.

Obviously it would be best to have Snort dump to disk (unified format), and
to rsync that data at (say) ten-minute intervals to a SEPARATE box, which
has barnyard to dump the data into a SQL DB. That way there's nothing by I/O
and network traffic involved in generating the data - all the CPU is
available for "pure" sniffing.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417