Snort mailing list archives

Question about log-rules

From: "Maetzky, Steffen (Extern)" <Steffen.Maetzky () gedas de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:38:33 +0200

Hi,

I have read that it should be possible to access the logging mode directly
by using the log (ok!) or dynamic keyword or as a second action by using the
alert (?) keyword.
(Snort Intrusion Detection 2.0, Chapter 4: Intrusion Detection Mode, german
version)

The second possibility confuses me! Why alert? Is it a translation error? Is
it possible to write alert-rules which logs package-data?
I have tried to find some examples but the rule-package from snort.org
doesn't help me.

Can someone help me out with examples for log-rules without using log
directly?

Thanks,

Steffen