Snort mailing list archives

Multiple snort processes and multiple databases

From: Rhugga <snort-list () sandiego420 com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:24:38 -0700

I just built a snort box for monitoring traffic on our internal network. I also want to use this same system to monitor traffic on the same network as our border router and firewalls. (the point where our network traffic is routed onto our T-1 circuits)

I want to take a 2nd interface on this machine and place it on the same switch as our router and firewalls. I do not want this interface to have an IP address (nor do I want to use a static arp entry anywhere) I then want snort to monitor this interface but use a seperate database than it is using for the internal traffic.

Just a few questions:

1) Is this config possible? I thought I had read something about this in the docs somewhere but now I can't find it 2) Could the fact that this system has interfaces on inside and outside nets be a security risk even though the outside interface has no IP address? (since there is an obvious firewall bypass point) The switch that the router/firewalls are connected to is physically secure and goes directly to our T-1 circuits. The router and firewalls are 100 mb full duplex on the external network, everything else in our data center is gigabit with the exception of our linux cluster. (although the switches for our linux cluster are tagged into trunked gigabit ports on a larger switch)

Thx for any info,
Rhugga