Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Tool Evaluation

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:06:38 +0200

Hi Ty,

Checkout the book "Managing Security with Snort and IDS Tools".  It's
an Oreilly book and it goes over a good amount of the tools designed
for snort.  From preprocessors to Web interfaces and Consoles, what
works with High Bandwidth deployments, etc.  I don't believe it covers
OpenAanval though.  You can extract the pro's and cons from there.

did you read this book? I just did this and it is by far the uggliest
book I have seen either by O'Reilly or covering snort.

If you read the documentation which comes with snort you will get
better informations than this book will give you.

If you are looking for a good book then take

Snort 2.1 Intrusion Detection, Second Edition ISBN 1-931836-04-3
by Brian Caswell and Jay Beale

(Ok, I didn't read this book but the first edition covering snort-2.0
and this book was quite useful. So I expect the second edition will be too.)

Best regards

Dirk

PS: There are more books on snort available but I read this two books.
So I can't say anything to the other ones. They might be good or not but
the O'Reilly book is definitively not useful.