Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't put log message to the special directory

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0400

I think you are missing one minor concept of Snort. Snort has alerts, and logs. Both. Alerts contain rule matches, logs contain packet captures.

Using your "output alert_fast: /home/snort/fst.log" you've set where your ALERTS go, but not where your logs go.

The -l command line specifies where both go. And the default format for logs is ip-hierarchy. However, this is IN ADDITION to the alert file.

Might i suggest switching to tcpdump binary logging or unified logging for your packet captures:

        output alert_fast: /home/snort/fst.log
        output log_tcpdump: /home/snort/tcpdump.log

This will give you two files, one with your fast mode alerts, and one fast-written binary log of packets that you can later read with tcpdump -r.