Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to fix the vulnerabilities

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:06:44 +1200

Aguiar Magalhaes <magalhj () yahoo com br> writes:

Hi list,

I´m using the snort-2.2.0...

I´ve received a lot of alerts and I´d like to know how
fix these vulnerabilities (Where can I get these
informations ??)

Please, help me

Exemples:

[1:466:4] ICMP L3retriever Ping [Classification:
Attempted Information Leak] [Priority: 2]: {ICMP}...

[1:480:5] ICM PING speedera [Classification: Misc
activity] [Priority: 3]: {ICMP}...

Not a vulnerability, just for information's sake. Please don't turn
off all ICMP, that breaks more things than it fixes.

[1:1852:3] WEB-MISC robots.txt access ...

Someone fetched /robots.txt which is a file which says which
(well-behaved) web crawlers are allowed to access web sites. Google
amongst others will do this - in which case you should see "googlebot"
as the user-agent for the /robots.txt in your httpd logs.

If you want to know more, check out the references in the signatures.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer