Snort mailing list archives

Re: STUPID QUESTION

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:34:54 -0400

At 11:05 PM 9/18/2004, Andy wrote:
Am I sending to the correct email address snort-users () lists sourceforge net
?

As a response, I keep getting the email below, but it my posts go through.
WTF?

Please tell me if I'm a dork.....

I can't tell you if you're a dork or not, but I can tell you this particular issue isn't your problem.

You are sending to the correct address. The bounce message you're getting is some imbecile with a misconfigured mailserver that bounces mail to the From: address instead of using the envelope Return-Path:.

You'd think on a security list people would at least know how to configure a mailserver to safely and properly handle message failure. Guess not, as there's a lot of misconfigured mailservers on this list...

I generally take the step of 550'ing the whole server and the offending address for a couple weeks as a defensive measure.

From my /etc/mail/access:
200.249.204.129 550 mail systems with broken bounces are not welcome here postmaster () ipadnet com br 550 mail systems with broken bounces are not welcome here

It's a bit extreme, but if they are sufficiently misconfigured to bounce mail to the From header address, they are likely to be able to produce mail loops as well, and I don't want to be a part of it.

(Note: I could firewall the server, but by using MTA layer 550's at least they know why I'm blocking them)