Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort 2.2.0, MS-SQL Server 2000, ODBC

From: "McCash, John" <John.McCash () andrew com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:57:35 -0500

Hi Paul,
        Ahh! A subject near and dear to my heart! This is currently
being worked on, I just believe it's not being treated as a priority.
There was a patch posted to one of the lists last November for
snort-2.0.2, to make it work with unixodbc and freetds (which you're
going to need), however it can't be applied to the current version.
Through various cajoling, prodding, and outright begging, I got the
current database output plugin developer Chris Reid (Hi Chris! Are you
out there? See there's more interest in this than just me!) to work on
including it. Unfortunately, his first cut at it didn't work, and then
he promptly had a second child (actually I suppose it was his wife).
That was back in April. Since then, he's been busy with other things,
and seems to be having Linux install issues to boot. I believe his
development platform of choice is one of the BSDs. I've sent his first
cut at a patched plugin to the guy who originally wrote the patch, and
he sent back a list of things he needs to do to make it work (in July),
which I forwarded to Chris. I got a note from him 8/10 that indicates
that he's been really busy, but hopes to get back to working on this
Real-Soon-Now(tm).
                And now you know - the rest of the story...
                        John