Snort mailing list archives

Re: sqlite output (was: some QP text in a Korean character set)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:51:04 -0400

At 05:18 PM 8/31/2004, =?EUC-KR?B?Ill1Y2hhbiBQYXJrIg==?= wrote:
I want to get and put db using sqlite instead of mysql or oracle etc..

Can i module for output or rule using sqlit??

I suppose it would be possible for one to be developed, but none exists at this time.

One thing that is VERY different is that sqlite is not a client/server database like mysql or oracle. It's a local-filesystem based database.

I'm also not sure sqlite is a good idea for this purpose, as it claims to not be well suited to "high volume" applications and large database applications, something many snort sensors run into.

It's also a "global lock" type database, which means that when your monitoring backend is reading the database, your sensor is blocked from writing it. This would impact snort's packet drop rate VERY severely. Snort more-or-less requires low-latency access to write the database durring reads.

Might I suggest a closer look at sqlite's own information on the subject, especially the section on "High Concurrency":

        http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=WhenToUseSqlite