Snort mailing list archives

Snort Rules Help

From: "Cunningham, Andy" <acunningham () rsasecurity com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:26:22 +0100

Hi there.

Can someone help with a problem I'm having trying to write snort rules.

I have a series of rules to either pass legitimate traffic or alert on
certain events.  Finally I have a catch all rule to alert on any packet
not covered by the above.  I've changed the rule order with -o so that
pass rules have the desired effect, and this seems to be working.

pass udp $SRC any <> $DEST $PORT (classtype:ignore)
alert ip any any -> any any (msg: "Unexpected unclassified traffic";
classtype: unexpected-traffic; )

These rules work fine for most of the traffic, but when I get a
fragmented UDP packet come through, the fragment causes the altert to be
generated.

I've tried adding a fragoffset:0 into the rule to only altert if it's
the first fragment, but it doesn't seem to help.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance