Snort mailing list archives

Re: Slow down TCP connections

From: Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () eresmas com>
Date: 29 Aug 2004 21:45:16 +0200

El dom, 29 de 08 de 2004 a las 18:57, pfeito escribió:
Hi Guys,

I'm searching for pro-active plug-ins for Snort.

Right know, I've just compiled and installed snort 2.2.0 with flexresp2
support. I'm about to test flexresp2 capabilities, but It seems to have no
support for slowing down TCP connections (i.e. for slowing down TCP Scans
for instance...)

Do you know any plug-in that allows Snort to slow down TCP connections speed
(i.e. resize TCP window size) ?

Thanks,
-pfeito

Wouldn't it be more useful to use iptables or iproute2 for this work?
With iptables you can do something like:

iptables -A INPUT -i <if> -p tcp --syn -m limit --limit 20/s -j ACCEPT
(accept 20 SYN connections per second, you can also use the burst
option to make it more suitable)

and with iproute2 you can use the QOS capabilities of the system to
limit the number of TCP connections. This is the correct option to
slow down the number of TCP connections, but it's a bit complicated.
You can read the Advanced Routing HOWTO that explains it all very
deeply.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC