Snort mailing list archives

Re: ANOMALOUS HTTP SERVER ON UNDEFINED HTTP PORT

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:52:06 -0400

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:46:56AM -0600, Fred McFeeters wrote:
I get about 1300 of these every day mostly from MSN messenger witch I leave
on 24/7, but also from every web page I visit, its like its not checking to
see that I'm the client and not the server Any ideas? Also am sure its been
beat into the ground but I still haven't heard an answer if any one has
found out how to  make acid report flow-portscan events?

You have added detect_anomalous_servers to your HttpInspect portion of
your snort.conf.  You are using network clients that HttpInspect
thinks are web servers, but the ports were not defined by
HttpInspect's profile.

Remove detect_anomalous_servers from your snort.conf or define your
HTTP ports properly for HttpInspect and you won't see those alerts.

Brian