Snort mailing list archives

Re: RE: Re: New Sasser Worm Signatures

From: ids () san rr com
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:47:14 -0700

Kevin,

Your explaination makes total sense. Since the only thing off of the cable modem is the sensor itself I noticed that
the only alerts I'm generating are services that I'm advertising (http, sql...etc). Since Sasser is a Windows
vunerablilty and I don't have a Windows computer off of the modem , could that be possibly why I havn't seen an alert?
Will Snort only generate alerts if it identifies an attack AND a there is a service runnning on a computer on the
netwrok it is sensing on?

Also you mentioned that I could create a rule where I could possibly capture all alerts. Could you elaborate on this?

Thanks!

Alan