Snort mailing list archives

Re: logging directory "/var/log/snort"

From: "Corey Rock" <snort_sigs () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 22:54:55 +0000

Thanks a lot Sgt_B!

that's what I thought. makes great sense....soon, I'll not be using a DB either!

thanks again!

Corey

From: sgt_b <sgt_b () security-forums com>
To: Corey Rock <snort_sigs () hotmail com>
CC: Snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] logging directory "/var/log/snort"
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 17:52:02 -0500

Corey,

Sorry, forgot to mention this in my previous mail.

Snort still needs a place to put the 'alert' file when you log to a database. The line in your snort.conf specifies the use of the "log" action in your output plugin. So it still needs to send the "alert" to its logging location (default /var/log/snort).

You can set the action event in the output plugin to "alert" as well. Unfortunately, I don't regularly use snort to output to a db, so I can't tell you which action event is better, log or alert, or if you can use them at the same time. In my limited work with snort and databases, I've always used the log action event, and let the alert file get generated in /var/log/snort.

At any rate, that's why snort is still asking for /var/log/snort when you're logging to a database.