Snort mailing list archives

RE: fin-no-ack scans

From: "Fred Portnoy" <fportnoy () mail plymouth edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:07:04 -0500

Upon closer inspection I can make some observations: hosts which are doing
P2P communication send and  re-send SYNs to a station that does not reply,
and then instead of just giving up, they end with a FIN. I don't know the
purpose of that FIN, since no session had been established; it may be for
additional reconnaissance, or not. That FIN, because no actual session was
ever established, lacks an ACK flag. Sessions which are established normally
with a SYN-SYN/ACK-ACK sequence would be ended with a FIN/ACK. So, the FIN
flag without an accompanying ACK flag triggers the Snort SCAN FIN rule (621)
and the firewall rule which blocks such FIN-only flags. According to the
references at http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?sid=621 and at
http://www.whitehats.com/info/ids27, stateless FIN packets are used for
reconnaissance, which is the reason for blocking them.
thanks

-fp