Snort mailing list archives

RE: IDS and Firewall

From: "Jim Hendrick" <jrhendri () maine rr com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:07:20 -0400

In general, you want to separate the functions firewall and the IDS.

One of the primary uses for an IDS is to verify that the FW is doing its
job.

That is, if the FW is compromised, the IDS should be able to alert you.

(you may choose to run a separate instance of snort *on* the FW for other
reasons, but that should not be your primary IDS)

Jim