Snort mailing list archives

Signature Database

From: "Lancaster, J Jackson Contr SAF/FMPT" <jackson.lancaster () afbudsys disa mil>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:06:58 -0500

Someone had asked about a repository for Snort signatures.  I found this
on fulldisclosure

Snort Signature Database.... Sort of
http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2004/Apr/0936.html

I, amoung many other people that I know, Are interested in keeping our
snort instalations as relivant as possible.
The most important single activity in this is to keep the signature base
up to date. I think that the snort.org guys have done a realy wonderful
job of releasing signatures frequently, But I would like to be able to
keep more up to the minute with new exploits than they or any other
group realy can.

I run regular searches and often see people posting signatures on this
and other lists but.... I thought it would be handy to have a single
"repository" of sorts. So with this in mind I set up phpBB (Yeah I know)
and am opening it up to everyone while I work on a better interface to
put our signatures into I figured that this was easy and searchable.

I would ask that yourpost titles be relevant to the signature... such as

"Microsoft - SSLv3 sig - new" or

"Cisco IOS 12.1 buffer overflow attack production"

This will make it easier down the road, If anyone actualy uses this, and
the signature base grows... I am planning to keep this up no matter how
big it gets. So I am hoping that People will use it and make
suggestions.

Link: http://www.snort.gitflorida.com/phpBB2/

Well, Anyone think this is a workable idea.... I am hoping it will help
us all keep up to date.

James Ashton

Jackson Lancaster