Snort mailing list archives

FW: (reality check)Solved(i think):OpenBSD 3.4 snort--X-->mysql alerts now being generated

From: "Jacob, Raymond A Jr" <raymond.jacob () navy mil>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:06:56 -0400

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 19:04
Subject: re:(reality check)Solved(i think):OpenBSD 3.4 snort--X-->mysql
alerts now being generated

Question: Why are there no alerts being generated?
Answer I think:
Looking at my previous post:
breakdown by protocol:                Action Stats:
    TCP: 0          (0.000%)          ALERTS: 0
    UDP: 9          (3.409%)          LOGGED: 0
   ICMP: 0          (0.000%)          PASSED: 0
    ARP: 255        (96.591%)
  EAPOL: 0          (0.000%)
   IPv6: 0          (0.000%)
    IPX: 0          (0.000%)
  OTHER: 0          (0.000%)
DISCARD: 0          (0.000%)

  I noticed a lot of ARPs and a little UDP(netbois I am guessing since the laptop is runing Win2k).
I realized that the reason I was not receiving any alerts was that
the only system on this test network with an ip address is the laptop(with no gateway configured)running nmap.
The bridge interface does not have an ip address. Consequently, when I connected the cross connected cable
to an interface with an ip address and ran nmap against the ip address associated with this interface, alerts
were sent to the snort database and acid displayed the alerts.
In the case where the laptop was connected to an interface with no IP address,since there is no
valid (i.e.00-00-00-00-00-00) response to the ARP request for a host(s) on the network, the laptop(running nmap)
can not send malicious packet(s) to any system on the network because it has no MAC address for the
system being attacked. Running a scan from the laptop connected to the bridge and
checking the arp cache on the laptop revealed there were no valid entries in the arp cache.

Question:I assume in order for snort to detect alerts from NMAP there must be at least two systems with ip addresses
on the network or the vulnerablity scanner must have a static MAC address in its arp cache in order to
send packets to the snort box on the network?

Question: if I were to put a static MAC address in the arp cache for the a host that
nmap will scan against, would I see alerts from the bridge interface with no ip address?