Snort mailing list archives

I've read FAQ; Need switch/hub advice.

From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste () smxy org>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:10:49 -0400

I'm brand new to snort. I was just hired by a small firm to install it on their networks. I'm reading the Syngress Snort 2.0 book now. I have the 2.1 edition on order. I've read the FAQ section (1.8) on using snort in a switched environment. Doing my best to come up to speed asap, as they want it installed last month (of course).

Network setup: T1 coming in to a Cisco 2620, then on to a Sonicwall Pro 330. There is a DMZ net on the sonicwall, that uses real ip addresses. The wan port of the sonicwall and the addresses in the DMZ are all on the same subnet. The lan interface of the sonicwall is connected to a linux iptables firewall with two internal lans connected to it. Each network (DMZ, LAN1 & LAN2) has a dumb, unmanaged, 16-port 100Mb switch on it.