Snort mailing list archives

Re: HTTP_PORTS

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:28:47 -0400

At 03:29 PM 4/21/2004, Chuck Holley wrote:
I have a lot of web sites, on which I use many ports. I am a little confused on how to variable these in the conf.

Var HTTP_PORTS
Include somefile.rules

What does that mean. Am I suuposed to write a custom rule? Do I have to name the variable for another port something other than HTTP_PORTS? In the conf they have HTTP_PORTS for 8080 and 80.

You don't need to write a custom rule. However, you do need to repeatedly include the same rulefiles over and over again, once for each port.

For example if I wanted web-attacks.rules to be used for ports 80, 8080 and 88, I'd do this:

var HTTP_PORTS 80
include web-attacks.rules

var HTTP_PORTS 8080
include web-attacks.rules

var HTTP_PORTS 88
include web-attacks.rules

The reason for the duplication is based in the fundamental structure of snort rules. At present a singe rule cannot be written that accepts an arbitrary list of ports. You can do a port, a range of ports (ie: 20:80) or a negation of either, but no discontinuous lists are possible (ie: 80,88,8080 is not a valid port specification).