Snort mailing list archives

openaanval calling home

From: "BM HM" <bm0714 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:49:39 -0500

I was just watching some tcpdump traffic and noticed my snort box making an outbound connection to 217.160.255.191

Looking up the IP I found that it is the website for openaanval 'www.aanval.com'. It appears that exactly every 30 minutes, I mean EXACTLY it makes a short http connection to the aanval website.

I looked through the php code and I think it is simply checking for version information, but I am not experienced enough to know for real. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Could they be piggy-backing data maybe? What would they want to collect anyway?