Snort mailing list archives

Simple FTP login request rule - just not so simple to me!

From: JPP <jpp () frws com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:41:27 -0700

Hey all!

Anyone have a rule to capture and alert on FTP login requests ONLY?
The rules we currently have capture either all FTP's inbound and generate a lot of entries at times, and the standard rules in ftp.rules which to this point have generated none.

A rule I have tried (in several variations) goes something like:
alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"FTP Password/Login attempt" \
  flow:to_server,established; content:"Password"; nocase;)

I fooled around with the wording,
added content:"USER"; nocase;
and/or
added content:"ogin"; nocase;
and still not a single hit when I log onto a server. I SEE Password: when I log in manually so obviously something in my logic or my general understanding of rules is lacking. Any wise rule writers out there that can assist would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Jerome