Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort's Processing Rate

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:34:57 -0400

At 01:53 PM 4/13/2004, Sherif Yusuf wrote:
I hust need to know the maximum (maybe published, doesnt have to be) packet processing rate while using Snort. If I could get a reference to where this number is stated that would be great.

I don't think there is any single maximum packet processing rate. But for starters, the sourcefire NS3000 (a VERY highly tuned snort sensor with lots of add-on utilities, but still runs the same snort code at it's core) is rated for wire-speed gigabit ethernet with 0% loss.

http://www.sourcefire.com/products/sensor.html

Of course, I assume that spec is based on full-sized ethernet frames. I'd be surprised (and impressed!) if they could keep up with gigabit ethernet saturated with 64byte packets (even most gigabit firewalls can't keep up with tiny packets at wire-speed). However, such a network load is highly unrealistic.

I don't know of any efforts offhand to make snort run on 10gb/sec ethernet.

Aside from "interface wire rate" as a hard maximum, Snort's maximum processing rate is going to be a function of all of these variables (and probably some I missed):

        CPU speed and architecture
        IO bus architecture to network interface
        IO bus architecture to system RAM
Available RAM (ie: are you paging? how much is used for disk caching? etc)
        system load
        variety of PCAP interface
        OS kernel (vm, scheduler, etc)
        ruleset complexity