Snort mailing list archives

Re: uricontent and pcre

From: "Keith W. McCammon" <keith-list () mccammon org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:04:04 -0400

Two options for the pay-load for Snort options are:
uricontent and pcre.
Can someone explain these in laymans terms. uricontent talks about NORMALIZING and directory

Uricontent is used to specify content in a URI. For example, if someone sends a GET request for /news/articles/privatepage.asp, you'd use a uricontent match to search for part of that string.

Normalization means that the http preprocessor will decode any special characters or encoding used to send that string.

traversals..I have no idea of what this is.

A request including "../" would be an example of a traversal.

And I
refered to the pcre site for more information on this,
but it just hasn't clicked yet.

PCRE is used to find matches based on regular expressions, which is much more efficient if you're looking for a match on content that may include any number of variable components.

It sounds as though you don't have much experience with pattern matching, HTTP (the protocol), etc. If you're in the business of toying around with ID technology, I would recommend that you get very familiar with the underlying technologies that you're trying to define, detect. etc. Otherwise, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle...