Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ok, Ok - I know - http_inspect

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:09:38 -0400

Snortty wrote:

All,
I have set up to enable inspect_uri_only:

preprocessor http_inspect_server: server default \
    profile all ports { 80 8080 8180 }
oversize_dir_length 500 inspect_uri_only

and when I run snort, it did show:
Only inspect URI: YES

but I still have hundreds of http_inspect alerts in
short period of time, like the kinds:

[**] [119:15:1] (http_inspect) OVERSIZE REQUEST-URI
DIRECTORY [**]
[**] [119:13:1] (http_inspect) NON-RFC HTTP DELIMITER
[**]
[**] [119:16:1] (http_inspect) OVERSIZE CHUNK ENCODING
[**]
[**] [119:4:1] (http_inspect) BARE BYTE UNICODE
ENCODING [**]
[**] [119:12:1] (http_inspect) APACHE WHITESPACE (TAB)
[**]
[**] [119:2:1] (http_inspect) DOUBLE DECODING ATTACK
[**]

You almost have to explicitly spell out each server and disable the false positive checks in the inspect parameters. That takes care of most of the http_inspect false hits, but then there are the regular snort signatures that can be fired off.

The only option I've found to avoid this is to use threshold.conf to disable the "false positive" alerts generated by your secured and patched (known to be invulnerable) servers. For example, you can eliminate most of the IIS-type attacks if you're running Apache.

Jeff