Snort mailing list archives

RE: Event-Correlation& avoiding false positives

From: "Eric Hines" <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:07:41 -0500

Yeah, I'd agree with Chad. You can probably do some pretty fancy stuff when
combining a bunch of open source software together with a backend database.
Another option that I've seen our customers do is take individual Snort
sensors and configure only the rulesets that are applicable to the systems
behind them; commenting out all the rest. For example, putting a Snort
sensor in front of MSSQL servers and only turning on the Windows and SQL
rulesets for those machines. This could also be taken a lot further as Chad
mentioned. It really depends on your network architecture as well.

There are also commercial tools available that correlates Nessus
vulnerability scanning with IDS events.

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA
CEO, President