Snort mailing list archives

RE: Linux Newb:No Alert Logging

From: "Harper, Patrick" <patrick.harper () phns com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:45:45 -0500

are you on a switch?

what are you scanning with?

is there anything in /var/log/snort/alert?

download http://www.cerberus-infosec.co.uk/CIS-5.0.02.zip
<BLOCKED::http://www.cerberus-infosec.co.uk/CIS-5.0.02.zip>  and run a
scan on the IP of the snort box.  It will send a lot of alerts to you

If you are on a switch then you will only see traffic headed for that
port so you will have to set a span (monitor) port or scan that port.

  _____