Snort mailing list archives

Re: ACID setup question

From: "Paul Schmehl" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:50:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste () smxy org>
To: "Paul Schmehl" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Cc: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] ACID setup question

Paul Schmehl wrote:

--On Wednesday, June 02, 2004 11:31:50 AM -0400 "Shaun T. Erickson"
<ste () smxy org> wrote:

[re: how to tell acid to find it's parts, on FreeBSD, using ports]

There's a setting in the acid_conf.php file that points to adodb:
$DBlib_path = "/usr/local/share/adodb";

There's another one for the graphics library:
$ChartLib_path = "/usr/local/share/jpgraph";

AFAIK, that's the only thing you have to worry about.  The ports
system
does the rest.

I didn't see a setting in the conf file to tell acid that phplot is
located in /usr/local/share/phplot, and not under the document root ...

That's what I get for being in a hurry.  I was thinking of snortcenter
instead of acid.

The correct setting for $ChartLib is /usr/local/share/phplot, not
/usr/local/share/jpgraph.  Sorry about that.

Quite alright. You realize now, of course, that I must ask how acid will
find jpgraph, then ....

Yes, right after I realized that my original answer was correct.  :-(  You
only need to provide acid with the patch to jpgraph, *not* to phplot.  Sorry
about my inconsistent answers here.  I'm usually more careful, but I've been
in the middle of a project, and tried answering without really reading
closely what you were asking.

Also ... I assume that the archive database must have exactly the same
structure as the normal database, yes - just a different name?

Correct.  You use the same mysql script to create its tables that you use to
create the live db tables.  Don't bother trying to archive events in acid,
though.  Unless you do really small amounts, it takes forever.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member