Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort getting RNA-like overhaul?

From: "Sam" <sam () neuroflux com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:47:48 -0600 (MDT)

Wow, this sounds really promising.  I'm curious though, if they take snort
down this road, what will the market be for Sourcefire?  It seems like
they would want to keep this for their commercial product, imho.

-Sam

Keith W. McCammon said:
[Apologies if this is too "general discussion" for anyone's
taste--please respond off-list if you don't care to muddy everyone's
inbox with replies.]

I caught a headline on ZDNet this morning related to Marty's AusCERT
seminar.  Bottom line: Marty made some mention of a potential overhaul
of the Snort engine to support more RNA-like activities (basically
taking Snort from the more traditional IDS space into the general
policy-enforcement arena).

The article:
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/0,2000061744,39148508,00.htm>

DC SUG post from this AM:
<http://tinyurl.com/2v9xp>

Anyway, I was just curious what type of attention this has been getting
within the more active Snort development and planning circles.  I know
it's been discussed within Sourcefire, as well as on this list (in a
more general sense), but I wasn't sure if anything was on paper.  I know
it's a lot of work, so I'm specifically curious how Snort's existing
framework would map simultaneously to policy-based specs as well as the
traditional rules and inspection engine.

Again, more personal interest than anything else, so any comments,
thoughts, detailed road map documentation welcome...

Cheers

Keith