Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and high performance networks

From: Chris Rapier <rapier () psc edu>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:15:48 -0400

Woah, rock on! This exactly what I was hoping for! Any chance you can send me specs for the box? I think they already bought one but it would be nice to know how it measures up.

Kreimendahl, Chad J wrote:
FWIW... I've got systems that are easily handling between 3-4Gbps each.
That's partially hardware, partially OS, and a little tiny config work.
Very near to all rules enabled on these interfaces, as well as all of
the preprocessors (minus the broken ones), and a database output plugin.

0 dropped packets.   If you check the archives for this list, you'll
find discussions about kernels that can do polling against network
devices, and how this enhances snort performance on high speed links
(network performance in general, really).  I believe I mention the OSes,
maybe some config info and hardware used.
If it's of any value, the machine I'm talking about above (handling
3Gbps) cost around $2500 (not sure if that's retail).