Snort mailing list archives

Re: Layer 2 Rules Capability

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 11:31:56 -0400

At 12:44 AM 4/5/2004, Kim Wall wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a plug-in for Snort that allows the ability to create layer-2 rules (i.e. MAC-based)?

AFAIK the only layer-2 component of snort is the arpspoof preprocessor.

Quite frankly, it would be nice if snort added a "ethernet" option to the list of protocols, allowing rule writers to go down to the raw ethernet frame, instead of starting at the IP header.. Using byte offsets, this would facilitate at least crude rules for all kinds of non-IP packet types. (ie: ARP, IPX, etc).

However, I'm not sure if the snort code is structured to handle this change, I think it's currently set up in a very "starting at layer-3 as IPv4" centric way.