Snort mailing list archives

missing reference for correlation

From: "nyarlathothep\@libero\.it" <nyarlathothep () libero it>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:36:13 +0200

Hello all,

with my Snort up and running :) I'm going to work on my IDS-VA correlator.
I've a lot of data, obtained from Nessus scan on a target machine, but I've seen
that there are lots of snort rules that contains no reference, so I cant
correlate the Snort results wioth the VA database.
For example:

Nessus said me that I've an ftp service that allows anonymous login, ref:
CAN-1999-0497
The correct snort's rule triggers on: POLICY FTP anonymous login attempt
but it has not reference!
From Nessus, my web server has no limited access to /iisadmin, ref: CAN-1999-1538
Snort: WEB-IIS iisadmin access
but no reference!
This is only an example, but I've seen lot of those cases, and the rules set is
the last
one from snort.org.

Someone could explain me the reason?

Thanks