Snort mailing list archives

Re: 2.1.3rc1 Performance

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:32:19 +0200

Hi Gary,

Yesterday I replaced my 2.1.1RC1 build with 2.1.3RC1.  Today I checked the
perfmon stats and nearly fell off my chair.  They are reporting that snort
is dropping on average about 15% of traffic.  With 2.1.1RC1 perfmon has
always reported 0% pkts dropped and I believed it.  Now I am seeing that
there are times when snort is dropping as much as 89%, and that is at
times with only 0.9mbps throughput and using 11% of the cpu.  Some other
times i am seeing drop rates of 12% with 5.1mbps throughput while using
77% of the cpu.

did you use the same rules on both versions? There are a lot of changes
between these two versions especially an increase in the use of pcre...

And did you also use the same libpcap?

Best regards

Dirk