Snort mailing list archives

Re: Block

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:55:47 -0600

--On Monday, February 16, 2004 4:46 PM -0600 Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us> wrote:

Uhm, I'm not sure about that, Paul. I've heard from folks that caught
new viruses with Clamav before Norton got it. Matter the fact, just
recently there was a posting somewhere (I'm sure you've seen that since
you are on most lists) that showed that clamav had a signature for it
first.

I have nothing but pleasant experience with clamav. I can't believe how
well it works for being OpenSource.

I'm answering on list only because I do not want to leave the wrong impression. clamav is certainly better than nothing, and if that's all you can afford, then by all means use it. What I *am* saying is that testing by the researchers at the University of Hamburg has shown that its detection rate is *not* comparable to commercial scanners. So long as you understand that, using clamav can be a useful part of an overall strategy to limit exposure to viruses.

No virus scanner is perfect, and clamav will catch viruses that other scanners will miss, and vice versa. Use of *any* gateway av scanner should be supplemented by other strategies such as extension blocking to provide the best possible protection.

However, anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, in controlled studies using standard research methodology, clamav did not measure up to commercial scanners. Please note, I am a fan of open source, and I am not trying to discourage the use of clamav. I just think people should use software in an informed manner.

These tests were done and published on a private list, so I cannot publish the details. I do not know if the university will publish the details on their website.

<http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc/naveng.htm>

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas