Snort mailing list archives

Re: react: block not working

From: "Micheal.Cottingham" <micheal.cottingham () svccchr1 sv vccs edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:13:05 -0500

At 09:25 AM 2/6/2004, Micheal.Cottingham wrote:
As per the subject, react: block does not seem to be working. ACID is
still picking up the alerts even though react: block is set. An example
rule is:

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg: "ICMP Large ICMP
Packet"; dsize: > 800; react: block; reference: arachnids, 246;
side: 499; rev: 3 classtype: bad-unknown;)

You probably need to get a MUCH better understanding of what react:block
does before you use it further.

http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node16.html#SECTION00374000000000000000

1) react:block is NOT a firewall
2) react:block will NOT stop subsequent attempts
3) react:block will not prevent the current packet alerted on from entering
your network.
4) react:block does nothing useful when used on ICMP packets.

React:block _does_ however _attempt_ to reset a connection by using the
flexresp system. This, if successful, prevents any more data in the given
session from entering your network.... ICMP messages are sessionless, and
there's little of any value that can be done to them after-the-fact.

Figures I missed something. heh. We do have two Cisco PIX, one primary, one failover for this site of our institution.
However, for various
reasons, we need IDS/IPS. I realize we can make the firewall do some of the stuff for us. However, there have been some
things that the
firewall would not be able to do.